Amazing Apple Dumplings


It's day 4 already of my "All About Apples" party! So far I've shared a roundup of recipes and a delicious apple tart. Yesterday, I hosted my Sweet Tooth Tuesdays link party where you can still share YOUR apple ideas. Today, I'm sharing another delicious apple dessert - apple dumplings! Check out my schedule below to see what else is coming up this week.


The recipe for these amazing apple dumplings comes from Trisha Yearwood. I started watching her show on Food Network as it was coming on after my favorite show, The Pioneer Woman. The more I watch Trisha's show, the more I like it. Growing up in a southern community, a lot of her recipes remind me of home! 

The other day I was watching her show and she made apple dumplings. My mouth was watering as it looked just like dumplings my aunt makes every year for Thanksgiving. As I watched her making them, I just knew it had to be the same recipe. I had tried to make something similar once, but it was no where close to the real thing. Her dumplings are the highlight of Thanksgiving lunch for me, I could eat the whole thing of dumplings and skip the rest of the food. Probably not a good idea though... My husband also loves her dumplings, so we had pretty high expectations for this dish.


These dumplings smelled amazing in the oven, but were even more amazing to eat. This recipe has to be the same one my aunt uses, or at least extremely similar. The dumplings are not difficult at all to make, and they are definitely worth trying! The warm, soft biscuit with the apple in the center would be amazing on its own, but combined with the brown sugar/butter mixture, they are heavenly! The cinnamon sugar mixture that caramelizes just puts these dumplings over the top. These dumplings skyrocketed to one of my husband's favorite desserts I have ever made. 

Hopefully I am not overselling these, but they are just so scrumptious! Here's the recipe I used, you can find Trisha Yearwood's recipe here.

Apple Dumpling ingredients:

  • 2 apples
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 8 canned buttermilk biscuits
  • 1 cup water
Apple Dumpling Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375F
  • Peel, core, and cut each apple into 8 pieces (there will be 16 dumplings all together)
  • Set aside (you can squeeze lemon juice over the top of apples to keep them from browning)
  • Put water, butter, vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a sauce pan
  • Heat mixture, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until it starts to boil
  • Remove from heat once it comes to a boil
  • Separate biscuits in half, you will want 16 pieces total
  • Wrap a biscuit half around each apple slice, pull carefully until it wraps around and slightly overlaps, press to seal shut
  • Place apples in 9x13 baking dish with the seam side down
  • Pour butter mixture into dish covering all the dumplings
  • Mix the remaining sugar (1/4 cup) and the cinnamon in a separate bowl
  • Sprinkle the mixture on top - we didn't use all of it, you just want to get a good covering on each dumpling, and extra liquid mixture
  • Bake until golden brown - about 35 mins
These dumplings are sure to be a hit with your family and friends at a potluck or dinner. Hope you enjoy this recipe if you try it.

Check back tomorrow as I continue the party with some of my absolute favorite apple themed dishes, restaurants, snacks, and more!

Popular Posts