Easy Southern Instant Spiced Tea


Any tea fans out there? Even though I grew up in the South, where sweet tea is a way of life, I was never a big fan... I tried sweet and unsweet, hot and cold, tea was just not something that I enjoyed. After avoiding all types of tea for years, I recently found myself shopping with my in-laws at a popular tea store. I was pleasantly surprised to taste test a tea that I loved!

The tea I discovered was a Rooibos tea, it's a red tea from Africa that is naturally sweet with a slight nutty flavor. My favorite is the white chocolate peppermint or the caramel chai. Yum! I also have started trying some white teas including a berry and orange blossom. Now that I've acquired more of a taste for tea, I'm starting to experiment with more flavors and types of tea.

I recently ran across a recipe for a spiced citrus instant tea mix made from powdered drink mixes! Apparently it's a common Southern recipe, I found tons of versions of the recipe all over Pinterest. Each seemed to have a different ratio of ingredients, so I decided to experiment and test out my own version of the spiced tea.

This recipe is delicious, I love the mix of the orange and lemon citrus flavors blended in with tea and spices. The best part of the recipe is that it creates an instant tea mix that then you can use to create a quick cup of hot spiced tea whenever you want it! Plus how cute is the tea mix combined and stored in a mason jar? Definitely a Southern touch for the tea.


Southern Spiced Tea ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup orange powdered drink mix
  • 1/2 cup sweetened lemonade
  • 1/4 cup unsweet instant tea mix
  • 1/4 cup sugar (less if you like your tea less sweet)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

Southern Spiced Tea instructions:
  • Dump all ingredients into a mason jar or container
  • Completely combine all ingredients in container
  • Stir 2-3 tsp of spiced tea in 8 oz of hot water
  • Enjoy!

Popular Posts